The 15U (Bantam) division is a tiered division with the NSBA fielding “A”, “AA”, and “AAA” teams.
The 15U (Bantam) AA and AAA teams play at a higher level of competition and the NSBA’s expectation is that players selected to those teams will commit to full participation (both practices and games). If your player is not able to make such a commitment and would prefer not to be considered for AA or AAA, please contact the 15U (Bantam) Coordinator prior to the evaluations.
In order to assist the NSBA in the creation of the most appropriate teams possible, there are three (3) evaluation dates. Not all players will be required to attend all three (3). The three (3) evaluation dates are as follows:
- Monday, February 25 (6:00 PM – 9:00 PM) or Tuesday, February 26, 2019 (5:30 PM – 7:00 PM) – Location: Inside Performance – All players wishing to play either AA or AAA level are required to attend this first evaluation. Approximately 1/2 of these players will be initially assessed on Monday and the other 1/2 will be initially assessed on Tuesday – they will be sorted by last name alphabetical order.** If your player is unable or chooses not to attend, they will be placed into the “A” draft. However, rest assured, they will still be placed on a team **
- Saturday, March 2, 2019 (11:00 AM – 4:00 PM) – Location: Kinsmen Field, gravel field – From the initial evaluation on February 25th and 26th, selected 15U (Bantam) players will be asked to attend the March 2nd evaluation for purposes of NSBA finalizing the “AAA” players and the “AA” players for teams. All players required to attend this evaluation will receive an email following the February 25th and 26th evaluation.
- Sunday, March 3, 2019 (11:00 AM – 4:00 PM) – Location: Kinsmen Field, gravel field – This is mandatory for all 15U (Bantam) “A” players who either did not attend the February 25th or 26th evaluation or were not asked to attend the March 2nd evaluation after having attended the February 25th or 26th evaluation.
DETAILS RE: 15U (Bantam) 1st Evaluation:
This is for players wishing to play on either “AA” or “AAA” teams.
Date and Time:
- Date: Monday, February 25, 2019 – Time: 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 – Time: 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM
Note: Your specific evaluation date and time slot will be emailed directly to you shortly.
Location: Inside Performance
** If your child is unable to attend this session, they will be placed into the “A” draft without a score. However, rest assured, they will still be placed on a team. **
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your start time. Proceed to check-in your child and collect a numbered pinnie. Once your child is registered and pinnie is collected, due to the timing, the volume of players, and space factors we ask that you drop your child off and pick them up at the end of the evaluation. Players will be called when it is their turn to take the field. We will be processing and evaluating a high number of players and would appreciate your assistance in making the process run as quickly and efficiently as possible. Parking at Inside Performance can be a challenge with this many people participating so please give a few extra minutes for that.
Players should come dressed in normal practice attire.
- baseball hat
- shirt (no names on shirt)
- baseball pants (no shorts)
- protective jock/jill
- runners (no spikes or soccer shoes)
Equipment: baseball glove, batting helmet, bat and water bottle (we will also have NSBA bats on-site)
** Please note that 15U (Bantam) AAA rules say that only wood bats may be used. If your player wishes to be considered for AAA, they must bring their own wood bat. **
The evaluation day will consist of three different stations for the players:
- Fielding (ground balls/fly balls)
Each station will last approximately 10 minutes, for a total evaluation time per group of approximately 30 minutes. Upon completion of all three evaluation stations, please ensure your child returns the pinnie and leaves the baseball surface immediately and is free to go. The next group of players will immediately be getting ready to enter as we are very tight for time.
We have over 100 players in the 15U (Bantam) division and are very tight on time. Unfortunately, based on gym time and the number of players registered, we must assign times. The 15U Coordinator will send an email to you letting you know what time your child is scheduled to be evaluated. If you are unsure of your child’s evaluation time, please contact the 15U Coordinator. We will not be able to accommodate any change requests. If your child is unable to attend this session, they will be placed into the “A” draft without a score. However, rest assured, they will still be placed on a team.
Following The Evaluations:
Following the AA/AAA indoor evaluations, approximately 40 players will be invited to outdoor tryouts on March 2nd at Eldon Park. The list of players to be invited to Eldon Park will be based on the indoor evaluation scores. Those not invited to Eldon Park will be placed in the pool of players who will play in the A division.
Following the outdoor tryouts, the AAA team will be selected first using the outdoor evaluation scores and giving consideration to positional requirements.
After the AAA team is selected, one or two AA teams (to be determined by the NSBA Executive following outdoor tryouts) will be selected by way of a player draft using the remaining pool of players not selected to the AAA team.
Players selected to either the AAA team or the AA team(s) will be notified by email and players will have 24 hours to accept their selection. Failure to respond within that time will result in the spot being offered to another player.
Players who attend the outdoor tryouts and who are not selected to the AAA or AA teams will be placed in the pool of players who will play in the A division.
As a reminder, players who accept a spot on either the AAA or AA teams will be asked to acknowledge in writing their commitment to full participation to this single season team, April – August.
Please direct any questions or if you need any further information to:
15U (Bantam) Coordinator
North Shore Baseball Association